Last Updated on January 28, 2022 by Laura Ritterman
eBay has long been a fixture of internet eCommerce. Many things continue to be sold on the site as of today. However, what if you are looking to make a return and get a refund?
We’ll be taking a look at eBay’s policy and also common questions regarding the refund process and more.
Table of Contents
There are multiple return policy options for sellers on eBay. Private sellers may also have the option to include no return policy at their discretion.
Here are the return policy options that are available:
- No returns
- 30 days, free returns
- 30 days, at buyer’s expense
- 60 days, free returns
- 60 days, at buyer’s expense
It is also important that Top Rated sellers must offer a return policy of at least 30 days. However, sellers in these categories will have the option for a 14 day return period:
- Medical, mobility, and disability equipment
- Camera and photos
- Collectibles and art
The return policy as it appears may be at the seller’s discretion unless stated otherwise.
The item return process may depend on the seller’s policy. Here is a step by step process that you will need to follow:
- Find the return policy by accessing the ‘purchase history’ option underneath ‘My eBay’. You will be able to find the order along with the original link
- Double check to make sure if the seller accepts returns. If there is no return policy, no further reading is necessary. If there is a return policy, keep reading.
- The policy will state how long it will be to return the item. For example, if a seller allows 30 days for a return, you have 30 days since receiving the product to return it. You may also pay for return shipping or pay a restocking fee.
- Assuming you are logged in, you will need to go to your purchase history and choose the item you want to return. From there, you can choose ‘Return This Item’ under the ‘More Actions’ link. You will also need to select ‘contact seller’.
- You will need to fill out a form and include details about the item you are returning. You will choose options such as ‘wrong item’, ‘doesn’t fit’, ‘changed my mind’, and other options. Be sure to add photos in order to solidify your case as to why you are requesting a return and refund. Click ‘Request a Return’.
- Print out the return labels that eBay gives to you. Place them outside of the package. Place the return slip inside the package.
- You may need to wait for eBay to contact the seller for any further instructions if the package is hard to ship or large in size. If it was an item that was shipped internationally, there may be a waiting period.
- Package the item like so and make sure you have a tracking number handy so you know of the status.
See Also: Ebay Price Match
It’s unclear how strict the return policy is on eBay as there are various policy options. You may be able to return the item within the specific amount of days since receiving it (unless stated otherwise by the seller as a no-return item).
An exchange policy may exist if the seller has multiple items. On the eBay website, there appears to be no specific guidelines regarding the exchange of items. You may want to contact the seller about exchanging an item and whether or not it’s possible.
eBay has a Money Back Guarantee that the seller must honor regardless if they have a return policy or not. They must have within 30 days to refund the buyer.
The guarantee applies if the buyer doesn’t receive the item, gets the item but it doesn’t match the listing, if they receive the item, or if the seller does not fulfill the return policy.
Unfortunately, after the 30 Day period (or after the set return period), there will be no returns accepted. If there is a no return policy, the item cannot be returned regardless.
There are several items that cannot be returned to eBay.
These include but are not limited to classified ads, industrial equipment and machinery, motor vehicles including RVs, boats, and aircraft; tickets and vouchers, digital content and intangible goods including NFTs (non-fungible tokens); businesses for sale, websites, or real estate.
On average, refunds should be processed within 2 business days after the seller receives the return. The fund will be available within 3 to 5 days thereafter. You will be refunded based on the payment method you have used during the initial purchase.
This may depend on the product that is being used. It may also be up to the seller as to whether or not they may sell it after use.
This comes down to contacting the seller if you notice any issues with the product during use.
Again, you also want to determine if the item is actually returnable. Remember, there are items that cannot be returned for any reason.
Any tags, original packaging, or anything else may need to be intact before it is repackaged and returned.
The item may not be returned if there is post-shipping damage that occurred during or after use.
eBay’s return policy may have changed over the years. As it stands, sellers can take advantage of one of many options.
If you are a buyer, you’ll want to pay close attention to the seller’s return policy before you even click the purchase button.
You may not be satisfied with the item or something may have happened to it during the shipping process.
With that said, we hope you found this guide to be very helpful. If you recently purchased an item from eBay and need to return it, you can use the steps above.
See Also: Amazon return policy