Last Updated on December 27, 2021 by Laura Ritterman
In general, almost any item at Walmart can be returned within a generous 90-day period from date of purchase, with or without a receipt. This also applies to online orders which can be returned in-store or by mail.
Find out more about Walmart’s return policy and any exceptions to the 90-day window, how online return process works, and what items are not eligible for returns.
What is Walmart’s Return Policy in 2022?
Almost any item purchased at Walmart can be returned within a 90-day window for full refund or exchange.
Items that deviate from this 90 day return policy include:
- 14 days: post-paid cell phones
- 15 days: prepaid cell phones, computers, printers, digital cameras and camcorders, tablets, GPS devices, digital music players, drones, portable video players.
- 30 days: air conditioners, dehumidifiers, evaporation coolers, generators, pressure washers
- 60 days: prescription glasses
- 1 year: trees ; shrubs, bulbs, perennial plants
Walmart’s 2021 holiday return policy states that items purchased between the period of November 1 through December 25, 2021 begin their return period on December 26, 2021.
|WALMART RETURN POLICY|
|Return Period||90 Days|
|Exceptions||1. Cellular Phones-14 Days|
2. Electronics – 30 Days
3. Glasses & Hearing Aids – 60 Days
|Return Method||1. In-store|
|Exchange Period||90 Days|
|Exchange Method||1. In-store|
|Refund Period||1. Instant Cash in store|
2. 10 days for Credit Card
3. 7 Days for Debit Card
|Refund Method||Form of original payment|
|Extended Holiday Returns||From Dec 26th|
What is Walmart’s Return Policy Online vs. In Store?
Luckily, the same generous return 90 day return window applies to both online and in-store purchases.
You can return, exchange, or replace all online purchases in your local Walmart store or you can return items by mail. As long as the item is eligible for a return, Walmart will cover all shipping costs to return by mail unless it is a third-party marketplace item.
Items bought online with the “Pay With Cash” option have to be returned in store.
All returns can be started by using the Walmart app to help speed up the process. Log in and go to “Purchase History” and there is an option called “Mobile Express Returns”. You will get a QR code that will be scanned at the customer service desk.
Can I Return an Item to Walmart without a Receipt?
Surprisingly, yes! Walmart does accept returns and exchanges on items without a receipt. You will be required to show your government-issued ID to customer service and you will have to be able to prove that you purchased the item.
This can be done in a few different ways:
- If you have the order number, you have three options:
- You can exchange the item
- Get a cash refund if the value of the item is under $10
- Get a Walmart gift card if the value of the item is over $10
- If you don’t have the order number, the store may be able to look up the purchase if you have the credit or debit card used to make the in-store process with you. If it is an online order, they may be able to look up the order using your email or phone number.
Any Walmart private brand product can be refunded or replaced with just the empty package- no receipt required! These brands include: Avia, Equate, EV1, George, Great Value, Marketside, Mainstays, No Boundaries, Pen+Gear, Play Day, Parent’s Choice, Special Kitty. Terra ; Sky, Time and Tru, and Wonder Nation.
What items Cannot be returned to Walmart?
A number of services and digital items are ineligible for a return, exchange, or replacement. These items include:
- Prepaid cell phone cards and SIM cards
- Video game download cards
- Video on demand
- Electronic games
- Software downloads
- Walmart express bill payments
- Reloadable credit and debit cards
- Check/card cashing fees
- Branded gift cards (i.e. Mastercard, Visa)
- Lottery tickets
- Tech support ; security
The items below are marked as final sale and are also not eligible for return or exchange:
- Firearms ; ammunition, airsoft ; air guns, BB guns
- Pepper spray
- Gas-powered vehicles (i.e., dirt bikes, scooters, ATVs)
- Prescription medications
- Sexual wellness and family planning supplies
- Diabetic supplies
- Hygienic medical equipment
- Used or installed tires
- Trading cards
Some open and used items are not eligible for return and can only be exchanged for an exact or similar item. These items and the time period for exchanges include:
- Unlocked wireless phones: 14 days
- Airbeds and air mattresses: 90 days
- Medical equipment (i.e. crutches, walkers, mobility scooters, slings): 90 days
However, this only applies to opened items. If the above items are unopened, they can be returned for a full refund.
See Also: Does Best Buy do returns
Does Walmart have a 30 day Return Policy?
Walmart’s return policy on most items extends past 30 days. Most items can be returned up to 90 days after purchase.
Electronic Walmart Return Policy
All electronics must be returned within 30 days of purchase. These items include, but are not limited to:
- Postpaid cell phones
- Camcorders and digital cameras
- Digital music players
- Tablets and computers
- TVs, portable video players, and video game systems
- GPS units
- Sound systems
- Hoverboards, electric bicycles and scooters
- RC vehicles
- Walmart protection plans and Applecare+
Video Games Walmart Return Policy
Walmart will accept returns on unopened or defective video games within 90 days of purchase.
Opened games that are defective can only be exchanged for another copy with the same title. If the original game is unavailable, you are then allowed to choose a different title.
All electronic game downloads are not eligible for returns or exchanges.
Walmart Return Policy Canada
Almost any item purchased at Walmart Canada can be returned for full refund or exchanged within a 90-day period.
- 14 days: prepaid cell phones, computers and laptops, printers, digital cameras, camcorders, tablets, GPS devices, digital music players, drones, portable video players
- 15 days: post-paid cell phones
- 30 days: TVs, DVD players, sound systems, headphones, portable video players, telephones, flammable products, tents, pools, air conditioners, mattresses, music and movies, software, ink cartridges, breast pumps, drones with GPS function, outdoor power equipment, and contact lenses and eye glasses
- 1 year: perennial plants, shrubs, trees, and bulbs
Online items that are oversized (over 100lbs) and jewelry items costing over $40 require a scheduled return delivery. Contact your store’s customer service department to schedule these returns.
Items that must be returned unopened include:
- Video and computer games
- Portable video players
- Music and movies
- Ink cartridges
- Disposable contact lenses
- Air mattresses
- Breast pumps
- Drones with GPS function
- Personal care items (i.e. feminine care, grooming and spa products, oral care)
Final sale items include: prescriptions, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, ammunition, fireworks, digital downloads, special order jewelry, photo custom services, underwear, swimwear with hygiene liner removed, sexual wellness and family planning products, clearance items (with exception of Walmart private brands), and trading ; collecting cards.
How do I return an item in store?
You can bring the item, along with original receipt and packaging to the Customer Service desk in your local store. You can also speed up the process by visiting www.walmart.com/startreturn to start the return process.
How do I return an item by mail?
Log into your Walmart online account and access your order history. Locate the item you want to return and click “Return”. You will be emailed a shipping label. Package up your item and drop it off at your local UPS or FedEx.
When I receive my refund for a mail return?
You will receive your refund once your return is received and processed.
How often can I return items without a receipt?
You are allowed to make 3 non-receipt purchases within a 45-day period.
Can I return food items?
Yes, but you do require an original receipt for all food returns within the 90-day window